20.7.12

They Were All Seculars. What Does It Tell You?

B"H
 -"Tourism" is Western, it is not a Jewish thing. The Torah tells us not to leave the Land if not for three pressing reasons: Torah study, parnassa and shiduch. In Judaism nothing is by chance. As "Tourism" is a secular thing and accordingly the victims of last week's terror attack on Jews in Bulgaria were all Torah-refusing seculars who thought they know better, the question arises: What were they doing there? One of the possible answers is that Hashem operates in ingenious ways and by having these people killed this way He saved them from hell, effectively doing them a huge favor. Causing the mourners great pain in this world is also a part of this possible scenario, one that will not be understood nor accepted by them.

- This is a censored talkback on Bodies of Burgas terror victims return to Israel Touching the tourism industry on the largely leftist Israeli media seems to be taboo.
>You Can Share This Item<

4 comments:

Rickismom said...

As a chareidi Jew, I find this blog-post VERY VERY wrong. Even if they should not leave Aretz, to blame the victims for their death is VERY WRONG. Put the blame on those who did it! Lots of frum people have been killed in terror attacks. Do you blame them as well?
We do not understand the cheshbonot (calculations) of G-d, and it is a big chutpah if you think that you do.

Ariel Ben Yochanan said...

B"H - Evidently as a "chareidi Jew" you don't believe with perfect faith that Hashem runs the world (The Rambam's 1st Principle of Faith). As an ordinary Jew, I do. Furthermore, sin and punishment in Judaism go hand in hand and when one sees the punishment it is Jewish to elaborate on the possible causes. I took great care in my wording not to put my words into Hashem’s mouth as it were, and you should read my words carefully and not read into them your thoughts. Elaborating of the possible causes of a disaster is legit. I also think it is rather naïve on your part to say that “we do not understand the cheshbonot (calculations) of G-d”. The fact is that sometimes we don’t and sometimes we do. If we didn’t understand anything of what He wants from us, it would have been superfluous of Him to give us His Torah at the first place, wouldn’t it?

Rickismom said...

I believe that Hashem runs the world, but I leave "interpreting" events to Gedolei Torah. Yes, we need to learn from events, BUT to blame the victims (rather than the perpetrators is rather risky. First, since I gather that you are not a G'dol B'Torah, you may be lying blame where it is not due. Secondly, do you really think that chilonim will be influenced by your post? Or is there a much larger chance that someone no0n-religious will read this (or someone not Jewish, even), and draw all the wrong conclusions?
And again, how can you think you know the answers? What about the frum people killed in France (where they went to teach Torah!)
I still maintain that the reasons for catastropes are beyond the knowledge of regular people.
I hate to say it, but sometimes things in life are just not all thaT simple. Belief in G-d and shiras hamitzvot is not a magic-wand cure for all of human suffering. (for more on this, see: http://beneaththewings.blogspot.co.il/2012/02/pseudo-tzaddik-saint.html

Ariel Ben Yochanan said...

B"H - I am afraid you read your thoughts into my words. I don't "blame the victims rather than the perpetrators". I describe a possible scenario with humility and I don't see on what authority you rule it out. Hashem runs the world and He might have done a favor to the victims, according to our understanding: It is better to be punished in this world, rather than in the next. That the post is not "politically correct", I can accept. That it is unusual to see these things in writing in English, I can accept. That it is not Jewish, I do not accept. Please bring your sources to prove your point.