19.7.09

[Conservative] Rabbi Graetz's wrong approach

B"H

By replacing Halacha (Jewish Law) with "people's own sense of morality", you actually undermine Torah. Not only. As Torah kept us alive through recorded history, by doing so you undermine your followers lives in this world and of course in the World to Come too. Not only. Replacing the Jewish value-system with the alien ideas of the nations, like democracy, you are actually working towards the destruction of the Jewish people as a nation too. Numbers 33:50-56 is a good example. Should we tell the people to re-write the Torah and read it according to your sense of “morals” or shall we say to them loud and clear that what is written there is a mitzvah? I have no doubt in my mind that the correct, Jewish answer is the latter. You might accuse me of fundamentalism and I promise you I’d not get hurt. On the other hand you must ask yourself: by changing the meaning of Hashem’s words according to my own criteria, am I guilty of chillul Hashem (desecration of G-d’s Name)?

- This is talkback # 5 on "Identity crisis in Israel"

No comments: